Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Final Hours

Well, we're in single digits now, and crunch time is upon us. I have been informed that now is the last chance to head for the border, but nice though I'm sure Tijuana is this time of year, I think I'll head East to Louisville instead of South to Mexico.

My mom and I sat in the den this morning and ate Dairy Queen biscuit and gravy. It may not seem like much, but it's something that we've been doing together for years, and now that period is coming to a close. There will certainly be more biscuits, and likely more gravy as well, but it won't be the tradition that we've had all these years. It's sad, but exciting at the same time.

Tonight I start a new life as a married man, the head of the household, and the primary provider. It's a daunting challenge, but one I look forward to. There will be new challenges, but there will be new joys as well. Old traditions fade away as new ones are born. Even though it's scary, I have no doubts about any of it.

I love you, Virginia. You are my beautiful penguin, and the reason I strive every day to be a better person than I was the day before. We'll face challenges, but as long as I'm with you, I know I'll have the strength to face them.

No comments: